Monday, July 30, 2012

Response to “Composition as a Write of Passage”



 I really enjoyed "Composition as a Write of Passage". I thought it dealt with what many students often think about required courses, such as "Why do I need this", "I'll never use this again", or "This is a waste of time." Unlike these students, I expected to take a way a lot from this class, and learn to better develop my writing. I also saw merit in a required composition course for first year students, because whatever our future professions, we’re going to have to communicate through writing. The author does a good job of explaining how First Year Composition classes prepare a student for future academic writing, as well as future professional writing. While the author notes the differences between the two, it still remains a point that skills learned in these courses can be applied to a variety of situations, and are very helpful in all types of writing. As the author described how a student used the skills he learned in FYC when writing a research proposal: purpose, audience, and process, I thought about how I now think about these components when writing either an Inquiry or Writer’s Reflection in this class. I plan on incorporating an emphasis on these components in my reflection paper, as I have learned the importance they have in shaping a paper and allowing the reader to fully understand what I am trying to communicate.

No comments:

Post a Comment