Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Course Outcome Inquiry Question


How did your reflection and meta-cognitive awareness evolve over the course of this class?

Throughout this class, I feel my reflective skills and meta-cognitive awareness improved greatly. Before taking this class, I never really reflected on the writing I turned in. It was almost always one or two drafts with little changes made between the two that I would turn in. While in this class, I forced to write multiple drafts, and found the comments I received from peer review very helpful in improving and changing parts of my draft papers. It is by writing the writer’s reflection that I got to evaluate how writing the paper went, as well as what I took away from writing it. Doing this helped me write future papers, as I learned what worked for me, and what I should be thinking about as I write the paper. As far as my meta-cognitive awareness, I feel that has improved a great deal. When this class first started, I had never worked with logos, ethos, and pathos, so right away my awareness of their roles in an argument increased. As the class progressed, I began to notice these concepts in almost every piece of news, advertisement, etc. It really connected to the title of our textbook, Everything’s an Argument. I also became more aware of how I could connect these principals to the web text I was analyzing for the Inquiries, as well as their effects on their the intended audience. I really noticed this when I was looking back at my research blogs. I was able to determine why the article was relevant to my web text, while also analyzing what it would add to my paper, as well as how that would effect the audience. My meta-cognitive awareness and reflection skills have grown greatly over the past six weeks, and I’m hopeful that they will continue to develop as I grow as a writer.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea and I can definitely relate! Finding examples of how your awareness evolved over each inquiry assignment from your essays and visual presentation will definitely strengthen what you are saying. Examples from your paper will also allow us and professor cummings to see/read how you developed. I also think that you should expand on what you said about Everything's an Argument. I personally plan on writing about meta-cognitive awareness for my final reflective and I thought about Everything's an Argument, but in the large scheme of things I didn't think about how the text book may have helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shannon's suggestions. You definitely have a nice frame into which you can add some examples.

    ReplyDelete