Tuesday, July 17, 2012

CCM Readings


In the three CCM essays assigned for today, there were a variety of arguments with differing structures. One that stood out to me in particular was “Internet Filters Hinder Student Research.” In the writer’s reflection, the author mentions how they ended up switching sides of the argument, and I have had a similar experience while researching sources for Inquiry Three. While I haven’t switched sides, I have been exposed to new viewpoints that have made me rethink my topic in a different light. I think this is beneficial, as it allows me a better understanding of the entire issue at hand, not just what I had initially focused on.
The way the essay was structured with explanations behind the arguments of the opposition and the author’s assessments about the situation is something I plan on incorporating in my paper. The author also raises a good point when she mentions the differing definitions of what is “harmful” to minors. “…there is a difference between the meanings of “ harmful” when it comes to different grade levels” is how she states the importance of the use of definitions in an argument. This was something I have seen in the begging chapters of Everything’s An Argument, as well as in today’s readings on page 256. I feel like this is relevant in almost every argument, as the way one side defines something can be very different from the other side’s definition, thus creating a less effective argument. This article also does a good job of using the Toulmin model for argument, as its claim that Internet filters are negatively effecting student research is debatable. The author combines her opinions on the matter with quotes form experts and other articles on the topic, providing evidence for their thoughts and arguments.
All of the essays in the CCM did a really good job of presenting their arguments in a way that was easy to follow and understand. For my paper, I am currently thinking how to arrange the information I am gathering in a way that the reader can follow easily and understand why the argument is significant. These essays are good examples of how to accomplish this.

2 comments:

  1. I like how you could connect to the writer reflection of this paper. I also agree and thought that the "harmful" to minors was a good point to bring up. I noticed use of the Toulmin Model too but I think it would have been more affective to add if you went into detail about how they used the toulmin logic. Taken us step by step with examples would have made it a lot more clear, rather than the broad statement that they used it. Other than that, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really liked how you pointed out how the author was defining the word "harmful" to minors. I really agreed with this point, but I think I would have redefined the word "minors" instead of the word harmful. While internet filters in grade school may be necessary I think that the filters need to be lessened or done away with at the high school level. When a senior is 18 years old, technically an adult in the eyes of the law, and can't access a sight vital to his research because of internet filters that is ridiculous. I also liked how you specifically pointed to a page on Everything's an Argument because i did something similar in mine.

    ReplyDelete