Thursday, July 12, 2012

Academic Integrity vs. Plagiarism

To me, academic integrity is being the most honest student you can be. Being honest with teachers, while taking exams, and when presenting your ideas. Academic integrity is holding yourself to high standards pertaining to your education.  Plagiarism is taking (knowingly or unknowingly) someone else's work or ideas and and presenting them as your own. While it is sometimes tempting to just copy and paste something from another source into your paper, plagiarizing doesn't allow you to learn anything from the assignment. You end up hurting yourself. I really liked the definition the first student in the Academic Integrity video gave, about academic integrity being about doing the right thing even when the teacher isn't looking. There wasn't really anything in the second video I had not already been taught by other teachers. I think this is because plagiarism is such a big problem with such huge consequences, so it was the focus of my previous teachers to inform us about it. I have cut and pasted parts of documents in papers, but I always put quotes around the sections and gave credit. To avoid plagiarism, I make citations as I go so as to not omit credit for a quote or idea I find while researching.

No comments:

Post a Comment